Saturday, September 24, 2011

Ducati

Who went to the Ducati factory & museum in Bologna, Italy?
THIS GUY DID!
A collection of the vintage era bikes. Not too many though. Seems like one model would carry 5-10 years back then.
I needed a brake from old churches & ruins in Italy. What better way to mix it up than some L-twin cut-a-ways!
No vacation would have been complete without engines!
Sorry honey...
H really liked these two. A vintage bike, '56 if I remember right, and this bad ass studded ice racer!
The Superbikes
Moto GP
Ducati's early attempt to cop H-D's V-twin, but 4cyl style!
Sorry honey, more engines...
The 1956 "Siluru". 46 world records set.... in 6 hours!
I'm in love...
....with my wife on our honeymoon I'm referring to.
This day started in Florence Italy with not much to do once we got through "Il Dumo" faster than anticipated. I had googled Ducati earlier that morning to see where exactly in Italy they were made. As it turn out, Bologna was the answer, and happened to be only 30min away by train. I asked Wifey, and she said "Of course we can go! Why not?" Thanks wifey. Got off train in Bologna, 10 min taxi ride and we were there. The only bummer was that we couldn't get the factory tour. Apparently it books by rsvp at least one week in advance. We did however get a few brief peaks in doors, and got the guided tour of the on site museum, which was pretty sweet. Second bummer, after the tour ended, the factory store across the street was closed for the standard 2 hour Italian lunch break. So we walked around the more barren outskirts of Bologna, ate at a Mexican cafe that had absolutely nothing Mexican about it. We ate "toast"(a ham & cheese) and drank nasty sparkling water. Walked back to the store and got some overpriced merch. All in all it was a good day, especially for being an impromptu visit. I did admire this Multistrada very much. I was told by my riding instructors no one bike could do it all, but I think they are liars now. Gotta go test ride one and figure out how to convince the wife I need one.
Probably twice as many pictures, I can email to ya later for the full view.
I hope if we ever go back I could see the factory tour too, but this experience was still a great one time opportunity.
Oh ya, thanks again for the fun, honeymoon-sidetrack day H!

3 comments:

  1. Holy Shit! That's awesome! Hope you guys are having fun! I visited Balogna once, and by visit I mean had to attend to my plane in their local airport. I think we dropped off some diplomats or something. Gave a Squadron patch to one of the fuel guys that helped me out.

    You really need to get away from your work from time to time though. Please post more pix, from the Ducati factory and any other places you guys are visiting on your honeymoon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will do. Honeymoons over. Just got back in Yesterday afternoon. Went to bed early (our time was 10pm here but felt like 4am to us)to get over jet lag. Coming back was easier than going there.

    ReplyDelete