Monday, October 1, 2012

Progress

Mail man made my day! Now if I can only figure out why it runs so shitty.

It was running rough this spring. This all started with me wanting to check my valve clearance. It was due @ 24k. Thought maybe needed a tune-up. Clearances are on the tight side, but livable. Put it back together and it runs like poop. I haven't had time to check everything yet, but here's the story.

Pulled cams and chain off to check lash. Put cams and chain back on, tensioner, marks all lined up.
Initially I thought maybe I'm off a tooth, but it fires right up cold with full choke and sounds ok. As soon as you take it off choke, it idles crappy. Give it any gas and she stalls right out. I pulled the carbs back off, pulled the bowls off, cleaned 'em out (weren't hardly dirty) wired all the holes, cleaned needle/seat put back together. My thought was maybe the needle & seat got gummed up sitting on the bench for so long.
Re-installed, same issue.
Threw timing light on. At 1000rpm's it hits the timing mark dead on.
I'm going to do a compression test next, and I really need to find were my vacuum gauge went.
Plugs look a little wet. My newest guess is; if the diaphragm is bad in my petcock, the engine vacuum could be sucking gas directly plus the carbs, over gassing it. I pulled the vacuum line off the tank and plugged it with my finger, no luck.

Any ideas? Any help would be great.

Maybe the cam timing is off a tooth, but I wouldn't think it'd start up so fast and idle so well with choke open if it was.

I'll keep checking...


6 comments:

  1. Set it on fire and call the insurance company.
    I didn't really just say that...


    but do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could the fuel/air mixture be off since you are using the pods now?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Between the fork springs, rear shocks, and the tires, bikes worth less than what I got into it...

    I could throw the wide band tuner on it, but the pods shouldn't have changed it that drastically that I'd need to re-jet.
    And I never touched the idle mixture screws.

    I just need my vacuum gauge. Vacuum gauges tell everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The gonkulator is off. The one just to the left of the right orgasmic.

      Delete
  4. Pulled everything back apart last night at 12am-1am, and this morning, only to find that the cam gear/timing marks are right on the money. Oh well, I should be faster at putting it back together this time. At least I know now I shouldn't 2nd guess myself so much.

    Bought a new vacuum gauge today.

    ReplyDelete