Friday, October 4, 2013

Cooling question for the Mayor

So I was looking at this photo from the Haints blog.

Go to the link above if you can't enlarge the pic enough.
This fine gent has holes drilled through the cooling fins on his head.
I hope they were an attempt at lightening, not cooling. The holes took away more cooling area than they provided. Probably still worked fine, but why would this be done?! Were heat sinks not used back then? Did you ever see anything like this in the engine shop? Was this a "prototype"?

I don't know why this bothers me. It just does.

1 week til Barbers.








https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEgFOgjv55ELN1PoaYkLEvhlCMBxGI6RIgguOPj8cjDT1eiEpT7H6T4ZtnyrvLJZOXn4lugKmXaUztPZ1kAKHfZnR02jTahOMnqb9Jq1Or6HnEP7pXkFf1CumyNqsYqf39bIBl21yunLToE/s400/img044+(2).jpg

3 comments:

  1. No idea. I haven't seen that before. Guessing it was done for looks, although they look patterned. Maybe he worked in a shop & did it. I don't think it was ever factory.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I figured it wasn't factory. Engineers wouldn't do that to the fins when theoretically they work better as heat sinks without the holes. I guess I was wondering if this gentleman should be put in the 'pioneer' or 'dude you just potentially messed your bike up' category.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He looks like the "MAD" Magazine guy

    ReplyDelete