Monday, May 14, 2012

Simichrome: Back to basics

So, the guy I bought the V Star from never cleaned it. It's not real bad, he just didn't have a garage, so in the summer when not in storage, it was outside. He kept it covered, but not all the time. Anyways, I wanted to polish up the chrome. It had a lot of water stains and tree sap. I first tried my brand new bottle of Mothers. It shined it up a little, but wouldn't touch the stains and oxidization. The I remembered Boomer gave me a tube of Simichrome years ago. It was still sitting in my tool box drawer. I've used this product many times in the past, but it's not carried in most retail stores, nor is it advertised much, so I tend to forget about it. You can find it at any good bike shop, or online.
Long story short, this stuff not only took all the stains off with little effort, but it left a deeper, better shine. This is a must own product for chrome or any metal. I'm sure you know about it, but just in case you've forgotten like me here's a reminder.

4 comments:

  1. What year/size is your bike?
    I have some V-Star parts I need gone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure about compatibility but I have some handlebar electrics, exhaust, signals, suspension links, etc if you are interested...

    ReplyDelete