Saturday, February 18, 2012

1980 Shovelhead rebuild

Just thought I'd do a quickie write up on some machine work I do at work. Here's a set of worn out 1980 Harley Shovel head jugs. These were already 0.010" oversize, but many years ago and need to go to 0.030" over now.  Wiseco piston set we ordered up for it.
Wiseco and JE make the best forged pistons IMO.
Why not bump the compression on it while we're at it?
Stock was around 7.5:1, it'll be 9.5:1 now.
The jugs were cleaned, gasket material removed, bored to +0.025 over, then finish honed to final size.
Finished honed.
Cleaned, honed, ready for paint and reassembly.
Video I took of the final hone process, I don't know why it's sideways, I can't figure out how to rotate a video...
I have the heads as well. I'll do a walk through on those Monday when I get them finished.

3 comments:

  1. Why does Blogger double space my posts!? I know it's not a big deal, but it drives me fuckin nuts I cant change it. I edit, and delete the spaces, but when I hit publish it adds them back in automatically. I even tried to delete them in the html format.
    Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know why your thing uploads them like that.

    you doing this work for Terry?

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, not Terry, another customer. I'm posting from the work PC not my phone, but I have same problem at home. I checked settings, but oh well. maybe it has something to do with centering, I'll finger it out.

    ReplyDelete